Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Scarborough won’t pursue puppy-sale ban


SCARBOROUGH — A citizens group that seeks to ban the sale of dogs and cats in pet stores throughout Maine struck out in its first at bat Tuesday when the Scarborough Ordinance Committee declined to pursue its proposal.

Lynne Farcassi, founder of Maine Citizens Against Puppy Mills, first appeared before the committee backed by a half-dozen supporters June 26, when she presented three similar ordinances from California. That left Brenda Cross, owner of Pawsitively Pets, feeling gobsmacked, given that she had purchased Scarborough’s only pet store, located on Payne Road, just three weeks earlier, on June 1.

Following an hour of debate Tuesday, during which time supporters of each woman took to the podium, the committee compared notes and, after declaring themselves universally to be lovers of animals, voted 2-1 to table Farcassi ordinance idea indefinitely.

“I’m not for punishing the masses for the sins of a few,” said Councilor Richard Sullivan. “You’re trying to shut down a business instead of shutting down the problem.”

“I was brought up to believe you are innocent until proven guilty,” said Councilor James Benedict. “I don’t understand why you are coming down so hard on these people who just purchased a business.”

Although the Scarborough Town Council has no rules on reconsideration of agenda items at the committee level, Chairwoman Carol Rancourt, who voted against killing Farcassi proposal, said it would be impractical for her to try again until after the November elections, when the committee would get reconstituted.

For her part, Farcassi vowed to take her fight directly to voters. Standing outside town hall after the meeting, Farcassi was so upset by the vote that she was visibly shaking.

“I’m discouraged but I’m still going,” she said. “Believe me, I’m just regrouping. I’m not stopping.”

Farcassi said she plans to circulate her ordinance as a petition which, if she can get enough signatures, would allow her to bypass the council and take her ordinance proposal directly to voters.

In addition, Maine Citizens Against Puppy Mills will take its fight to towns including Oxford, Arundel, Waterboro, Skowhegan and Windham, where it recently picketed the Paws and Claws pet store.

By contrast, Cross was all smiles after the meeting.

“I feel really good,” she said, having previously predicted that a ban on dog sales would put her out of business.

Now, Cross said, her business is stronger than ever and, perhaps ironically, she credited Farcassi’s group for that.

“I’m actually glad about everything that happened and everything I’ve learned because it made me research my breeders and made me know that I’m now going to get better quality dogs, even if I have to pay more for them.”

Cross’ partner, Jamie Nonni, said during the meeting that he and Cross took seriously the evidence presented to them by Maine Citizens Against Puppy Mills after the June 26 meeting. Since then, he said, the couple has dismissed more than a dozen breeders from their vendors list, depending on personal interviews with each supplier rather than a simple AKC registration.

“Out pet store is not the problem,” he said. “It’s my belief that shutting us down would have been a step in the wrong direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment