Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

‘This is all my favorite things’ — Q&A with Stephanie Cox



SCARBOROUGH — Cape Elizabeth resident Stephanie Cox took the reins of Project GRACE on Nov. 1, following a lengthy effort to replace the nonprofit’s previous executive director, Mary Rollo, who moved on in July after five years to take a job in admissions at Catherine McAuley High School in Portland, where her daughter is a student.

“It was a bit of a hard decision, because we has so many great people who had experience and such,” said Project GRACE President Alberta “Bert” Follansbee. “But Stephie’s enthusiasm is what really sold us on her.”

In all, nine candidates were interviewed for the job, which requires its holder to be a sort of discrete cheerleader, trumpeting everything that’s great about Scarborough while directing those who find themselves on hard times to neighbors willing to help.

It didn’t hurt that Cox also brought a background that let Project GRACE directors eliminate an office job that, coincidently, came open the same week Rollo left.

“When we found that she had the right skills to do the administrative aspect as well – Stephie is quite the computer expert – we combined the two jobs,” said Jim Elkins, who chaired the search committee.

Under Cox, the old 30-hour-per-week director's job has been combined with 15-hour assistant job into one, full-time post. Now, with Thanksgiving under her belt and Christmas giving in full swing, Rollo took some time Monday to share a little bit about her background with Current readers.

Q: How familiar are you with Scarborough?

A: Oh, very. My family has been in Scarborough forever. We’re attached to Higgins Beach and have been there for generations. I grew up there in the summertime, and, when I got the chance to make it my permanent home I did, although now live just across the line in Cape Elizabeth.

Q: But you lived in town yourself for a while?

A: Yes. Part of my background here in the town was serving on the conservation commission for five years. I was chair for a while, as well, and I was also a member of the visioning committee and I’ve volunteered at different activities and events in town, like the 350th committee.

Q: What about your resume made you a good fit for Project GRACE?

A: I have a background in nonprofit management and I’ve been with some of Maine’s leading nonprofits for years. I was with the Maine Philanthropy Center for four years, which is a regional association of grant makers. My role there was to work with the nonprofits and help them use our resources to learn about foundations in Maine. Before that, I was with Maine Audubon for more than 11 years as grassroots and volunteer coordinator. I’m a co-founder of Friends of Scarborough Marsh. I’ve also been a caseworker and social worker in Delaware, where I worked with adults who were homeless, who had severe chronic and severe psychiatric illness.

Q: Is Delaware where you are from?

A: Yes. I was born there and went to school at the University at Delaware. I also went to the School for International Training in Vermont. Major players in the international aid scene come through that school. A lot of us, however, stay here stateside and put those practices and principles to work in local communities.

Q: Where did you get the IT skills for which you’ve been praised?

A: Well, in the nonprofit world you have to wear a lot of hats. You’ve just got to learn how to do it. I was not afraid to just push the button and figure out. When we need something beyond be expertise we can go get it but day-to-day I can solve little thing like updating the website. 

Q: What interested you in the job at Project GRACE?

A: It was as if someone made a job description just for me. They put all of my favorite things into one basket and invited me to be on staff. It’s an organization that is doing excellent work. We are needed in the community.

Q: What has impressed you most about the group since you started?

A: I’ve stepped into an organization that has good volunteers and excellent best practices. If you look at the resume of any one of our volunteers, it's generally as packed as mine might be considered.

Q: Do you have any big, transformational changes in mind for Project GRACE?

A: No, other than recruiting. We want there to be enough hands that the work not a burden on a core group of five or six people. But, beyond that, I just try to stay out of their way and bring a little extra to the process where I can.




No comments:

Post a Comment